Tuesday, March 22, 2005

2

Well today I got back into it. That has taken more than a week because of a new sound system put in and then days like today keep happening where it took more than half the day to organise procuring two DV decks to make backup tapes. For a supposed studio it is not user friendly because the equipment keeps moving and changing. My FCP preferences had all dissapeared with an update from FCP4 to FCP HD. That was easily solved but annoying. I just double clicked on the FCP preferences file and I was away. That was a welcome change. This is a major problem working within an institution like this. The general attitude is that PhD researchers should be helped but not made to feel too comfortable.

So today there were not the proper connecting leads (various firewire and power leads) in the studio which took time to procure. The second Sony DV deck wasn't available and then when I used the Sony PD10 camera as the player deck it wouldn't work with FCP to bring the tapes into digital files onto the G5.

Meanwhile on my G3 laptop as I use the Firefox browser... it crashes as does Word. Half way through something like this blog and bad-a-boom it's no longer there. Start again.

In the midst of all this chaos I have managed to log a couple of tapes and have decided that with the limited time I have to download the entire tapes in 41.40 min blocks then use the automatic segment function to find the shots. I can log it later back home.

How great it would be to have the time to actually think about the material rather than spend most of my time with these manic concerns. The substance is the Native Title hearing for Timber Creek.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home